April 13, 2012

Treasure Hunting

Shirt - Gifted, Skirt - Vintage, Necklace - ModCloth, Watch - Target, Pumps - cathy jean
Have you ever had an item that you just searched and searched and searched for, only to find it in the very last place you'd think of? That was the story of me and this bright green vintage pencil skirt. I had been dying for a skirt just like this, but I couldn't find it anywhere. It had to be just the right color, just the right cut, and just the right price. I have serious opinions when it comes to the prices people charge for vintage clothes. They're one-of-a-kind, gorgeous, and make me happy...but they're used, and I don't like paying an arm and a leg for used clothing. Can I get an "Amen"?

Anyway, I looked everywhere for this skirt and couldn't find it. How was I to know that it was waiting for me in a teeny tiny thrift shop in North Lake Tahoe, wedged in between a horrendous looking lavender prom dress and a turquoise knit suit? It was actually part of a 1980s blazer and midi-skirt suit set, but I split the suit up and hemmed the skirt. That's one of the things I love about vintage shopping. You can find some of your favorite pieces in the strangest places, when you least expect it. And if you're lucky, like I was, it'll cost you about $8 (score!). It's honestly like a treasure hunt, and I love the thrill of finding something I've really been wanting. It's like when things are elusive, we want them all the more. Like finding a four-leaf clover in a huge field, or pumpkin ice cream in the middle of summer, or snagging the middle seat of the middle row in a movie theater, or getting the fifth skill star of the Usher song on my Dance Central game for Kinect. These are my treasures, people...what are some of yours?

 Hope you find some treasures this weekend....Happy Friday!





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...