April 16, 2013

Maxi-mum Versatility

Dress - F21, Jacket - Gap, Sunnies - Foster Grants, Watch - Target
I'm not sure if it's because the seasons are transitioning or because jeans can just sometimes feel very binding on a curvy girl, but I have been so addicted to jersey maxi dresses lately. They're so simple and uncomplicated but give the impression that you put a lot of thought into your outfit. A black maxi like this one has become a serious closet staple for me. It's can be casual or fancy, dressed up or dressed down, but it's always comfortable, no matter how you doll it up. I've already worn this dress belt-less with an infinity scarf, with a colored belt and funky jewelry, and even with motorcycle boots for an edgier look. Its versatility is making it rise quickly in the ranks of go-to pieces in my closet.

Ever since I bought this maxi (for like $12 no less), I have been hunting for more and more maxis to add to my wardrobe. It's a challenge for a shorty like me because maxis are usually too long for me, and jersey is such a pain to hem (So I've been told, I can barely thread a needle). One little tip I've figured out with maxis though is that you can belt them with a wide belt (like I did here), and tuck some of the length up under the belt. Voila! Instantly shorter hem, and I didn't even have to pull out the sewing kit. Again, I imagine that's what you do when you need to hem something. I don't own a sewing kit.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great dress! I like patterns so much that I own mostly patterned maxis, but you're right that a black one is amazingly versatile - I really like how you styled it with the belt.
Regarding hemming jersey, if you don't mind an unfinished edge, you might consider just cutting it straight across with a scissors. Jersey/t-shirt knits don't tend to fray ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...